1/02/2010

Mural Tips

Newborn blog!  For my first post, I'd like to share a little mural I painted last summer.



Completed in less than a week, while staving off mosquitoes, 80 degree weather, and yes, even rain.  I also had to re figure my measurements because the wall space was smaller than I was led to believe, which wouldn't be a big deal if I wasn't mathematically challenged.  That's a real thing, you know.  I'm convinced that I have math dyslexia

If only I lived here.

You: Gasp! You mean...?

Thaaaaat's right!  I do commissioned work.  This is my first mural.  Want to know how I did it?

  • Obtain a customer.  I got off lucky on this one, a relative approached me and asked me to.  Typically not so simple.  However, had it not been known amongst my family that I paint, this would have never happened.  So spread the word about your work.
  • Communicate.  Ask a lot of questions about what they want done. Sketch out a few ideas and share.  My customer wanted a Celtic knot.  I found some generic images online and photo shopped them onto a picture of the wall, then emailed them to her.


  • Draw a rough draft.  Find out the size of the space you'll be working with and create a small scale.  For a 10 x 10 foot area, make a grid with 10 x 10 inches.
  • Convert grid to wall.  The easiest way to do this would be with a projector.  If you are like me and do not have access to a projector, grab a yardstick and a ladder!
    • I used some big fat sidewalk chalk to sketch the wall.  You can also use charcoal.
    • After you have the sketch on the wall, wipe away distracting "oopsy" marks with a rag.  I went ahead and erased the grid lines also.

My handsome helper.
  • Once you're happy with the sketch, start painting!  I laid down a plastic tarp and used a plastic paint tray to cut down on mess.
    • Try to follow your sketch lines closely, but don't be too hard on yourself.  Remember that a mural is typically viewed from a distance, so it doesn't have to be absolutely "perfect" up close.  Besides that, painting on an exterior wall is no easy task, and you could go crazy trying to clean it up (just ask my husband).
  •  At least 2 coats, 3 for exterior walls.  Once you're done, clean off the excess chalk and stand back to admire your work!
This are very basic tips.  If you would like more information, leave a comment or email me at sarahnorman1984@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment